Friday, January 2, 2009

Have an Elegant Weekend [even if you're not elegant]



I would never consider myself an "elegant" person, per se [thus the title of my blog!]. I hate feeling too matchy -- unless it's all black -- and anytime I feel as if I've overdone my hair or makeup, I always have to muss it up a bit. Because of my embrace of imperfection, I have always felt it difficult to relate to 50's fashion. The perfectly-powdered, girtled, and coiffured look of the 50's makes me feel slightly suffocated (see the beautiful, but oppressed Betty Draper of Mad Men).


However, as I've grown older, I have started to appreciate certain timeless elements of mid-century fashion, such as: red lipstick, well-tailored coats and jackets, hats/gloves, and simple silhouettes with touches of glamour. So, while it's not a New Years' resolution, I would like to experiment a bit more in the coming year with adding some understated 50's elegance into my wardrobe --while also staying true to my own casual/down-to-earth/quirky way of dressing.

Here's to having an elegant weekend -- even if you're not terribly elegant most of the time [like me!!]

This year, I'm going to play more with:

Feathers




Classic Pants



Pretty slips and hosiery



A 50's-style bathing suit?



[Faux] fur



Cigarettes! [just kidding], though they do seem subversively elegant...



Summer dresses:



Red Velvet, YUM!



Well-tailored dresses




Maybe I'll drag out my kimono collection!



A hat with a net seems dramatic



New ballet slippers...maybe some Chanels?



Flowers...brooches and hair accessories.



A new, fitter body...where can I buy that???



[Thanks to Ana from Foto Decadent for downloading these amazing Conde Nast photos!]

No comments:

Post a Comment