Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Friend Who "Feels" You

Reading Daniel J. Siegel's inspiring new book Mindsight, I was struck by his notion that "feeling felt" emotionally by another person is crucial for healthy childhood and adolescent development. Everyone has their share of difficulties growing up {some more than others}, but Siegel argues that as long as we have a person in our life we feel a connection with, be it a friend or a family member, our chances of becoming strong, resilient, happy adults increase exponentially.
Siegel says: "Being close to someone early in our lives gives us the clarity to know how we feel, and the ability to feel close to others."

This concept made me think of my oldest friend: Sara. I realized that in great part I have my precious friend Sara to thank for my relative balance and happiness as a "grown up." Sara and I both dealt with some rather difficult and traumatic experiences as teenagers, and I truly believe if it weren't for her love, support, and humor through those tough years, that I would probably be a terribly cranky, pessimistic, and downright antisocial person these days. I think I can safely say, more than any other person in my life {then or now}, Sara truly "felt" me! I hope I gave her at least a fraction of that experience, as well. Thanks so much dear Sara.

::Tell me readers, who is the person who has made you feel "felt" the most in your own life?? Don't forget to send them some love for Valentine's!!

{And aren't these vintage lady friends super-cute in their jodhpurs??}

No comments:

Post a Comment